Edublogtalk: distributed conversations

taggraph1.jpgtaggraph1.jpgWhen Blogging4Educators started, I understood we had designed a number of environments to interact with participants, mainly, our YG and two blogs to host weekly discussions. During the first two weeks, fascinating conversations developed as we shaped, defined and built ideas dialogically on our blog threads.

On week 3, however, the task was to post entries and tag them blogging4educators and/or b4echallenge. We started experimenting with the power of tagging not only to organize, classify and describe our user-generated content on the web, but as a way of bringing conversations together, helping our edublogs talk to each other by decentralizing the discussion. We all started reflecting on different aspects of the week’s topic making it even more enriching and multifaceted as we allowed the new bloggers in our session to find their voice and to build their own readership. (Not bad in less than 4 weeks!)

So instead of converging on one spot, conversations are distributed, helping ideas flow creating interconnected semantic contexts. We are generating blogtalk, edublogtalk, metablogtalk, we are seeding the web with our ideas, but through tagging we are generating a context that helps us build open circles of thought and interaction.  

Since week 4 started, I’ve been reading non-stop. From Konrad Glogowsky’s reflective post to Lilian’s teaching context and Carla’s reaction with Fear 2.0 plus all their comments!  I simply don’t know where to start contributing to the discussion. It’s so deep, so broad, so complex and so essential.  As Will Richardson said in The New Face of Learning “In this new interactive Web world, I have become a nomadic learner; I graze on knowledge”.  I guess this post is just to say I’ll feed a bit more on your reflections and add my own piece to this learning puzzle. What do we talk about when we talk about blogs in education?

Image: this is what Edublogtalk looks like in Websites as Graphs

Related readings: Deconstructed Distributed Conversations

The Web as Distributed Knowledge

8 thoughts on “Edublogtalk: distributed conversations

1. Carla,
    I’m impressed with the amount of interaction going on between the participants of the group. I’m more impresssed with how much learning is taking place.
    Because of all this learning, I’m considering now starting a new blog for BE. I’m starting a new BE class next week and in another week I’ll start a business skills class. I’m not sure what kind of students I’ll have in both classes, but I’ll start the blog anyway. I wish we could have a joint blog where our BE students can meet, learn and share.

If this is not possible at the moment, I’ll definitely need some help and more importantly your constructive feedback on the new blog.

2. Sure Lilian!

Last year we designed an online BE course with my colleague Jesica Bassani, but she is actually teaching it, so I’ll let her know about your proposal so that you can get in touch directly with her.

Of course, you can count on me for any kind of assistance and participation. I just love team blogs! 🙂

Hugs, Carla R

3. Carla,
    I’ve just read the comment you’ve left on my blog (it went to moderation and i didn’t see it), and i wanted to thank you for your conforting words and for the video. I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, but i’ve already added it to my playlist. i guess it feels good to know that you had a similar experience and managed to overcome your dificulties. And i have to confess that i really admire your work, and the work of the B4E’s team. You all seem to be so active and positive about DOING! It’s inspiring.

Another thing: I’m having trouble with the live session recording. I couldn’t be there, but i wanted to listen to it. I found the link but it just doesn’t play. Could you help me?

4. Carla,
    This is great. Tomorrow I have a meeting with the coordinator to know what components will go in the BE course. This will guide the blog creation. Of course I’d prefer a more generic blog that can be of use to all BE students, but we can start with the components for this program and then we can add other stuff later.

5. Pingback: Blogging2.0 Journey - From Replication to Conversations at The Journey